In addition to Cost Allocation Bucket Tagging, Bucket Explorer has introduced some really nice new features in version 2012.07.03.03.
In this new release, you have a very easy way of managing your AWS friends list, using the AWS Address Book offered by Bucket Explorer. You can use this Address Book to manage email address and canonical id of registered AWS accounts. This will provide you an easy selection of AWS users at the time of sharing your buckets. Instead of having to type all the details, you can just select your desired contacts.
You can see an overview of this feature in the below screen shot.
Download Bucket Explorer today and get running with the use of Amazon S3 and CloudFront.
There have been multiple questions raised by Amazon S3 users on how to set Amazon S3 Objects Metadata during and after uploading S3 objects. After reading these questions on different sites, we thought of collectively describing several “S3 Objects Metadata Update” related features offered by Bucket Explorer for you.
Amazon S3 stores two types of metadata on S3 Objects, Standard HTTP headers ( System Metadata- ETag, Content-Length etc.) and Custom user defined metadata. Storing metadata could be very valuable for identifying different types of objects for purposes like content delivery, media applications, backup and archiving, and many other application types. Some of the examples of metadata you can store are-
- Data types like image, video or document
- Dates the object was created, accessed, or modified
- Subject or categories
You can pass some initial metadata while uploading an object, however if needed in future, you can update that metadata very quickly using Bucket Explorer without having to upload the documents again.
Let us see the features that Bucket Explorer offers to update metadata for Amazon S3 Objects.
- Upload S3 Object With Default Metadata
- Upload With Content Type as Text/ HTML
- Upload With Custom Header
- Upload As Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS)
- Set Bucket Default Metadata
- Bulk Update for Selected files/folders/Bucket
- Auto Content Disposition
These multiple options offered by Bucket Explorer can definitely make your job of managing S3 Objects Metadata much easier.
Upload S3 Object With Default Metadata: When you upload selected files from the native file system, Bucket Explorer sets default system details with the file which is being uploaded.
Upload S3 Object As Html : Usually browsers do not allow you to open and read files like – doc, gif etc. within the browser. You are required to download such files from Amazon S3 to read those.
Bucket Explorer provides an option for you to ” Upload as HTML “. When you upload a file as HTML, the Content-Type of the file is set to text/html and you can open and read such files within the browser without having to download first.
Upload S3 Object With Custom Header : You can add your own metadata (user defined) with S3 Object while uploading a file using Bucket Explorer. You will need to add a key and value pair for the metadata.
Upload as Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS) : Amazon S3 allows you to store your data in two modes:
- Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS).
If your data can be regenerated or recollected easily or is not very critical, then you can set your S3 Object’s Storage Type as RRS. RRS is cheaper than Standard Storage type. Bucket Explorer allows you to upload your data to Amazon S3 with RRS mode setting.
If you want is not easily reproducible and you want to store in a more secured way, then your data storage type should be set to Standard.
Set Bucket Default : Bucket Explorer allows you to set default metadata settings for a Bucket. By doing that, whenever you add a new S3 object on that S3 Bucket, Bucket Explorer applies default setting from the Bucket to the new files. Read more on How to set default metadata on bucket and How to set default permission for the bucket .
Bulk Update for Bucket/Folders/Files : Bucket Explorer provides you batch operations for Metadata also. You can update (Add New/Update Existing/Delete Existing) metadata on Bucket or Folder/ File level.
- Bucket Level : If you want to update metadata on all S3 objects in an S3 bucket, then you can update metadata at the Bucket Level. You can perform the batch operation from Bucket Toolbar.
- Folders/Files : If you want to udpate metadata on selected files and Folders, then you can update metadata in batch on all selected items from Object Toolbar.
Auto Content Disposition : If you want your specific types of files stored on Amazon S3 to download instead of opening in browser, then you should use this feature of Bucket Explorer. This works contrary to “Upload as HTML” feature explained in this article above.
So, to wrap up, there are multiple easy ways available in Bucket Explorer User Interface, which allow you to manage your metadata.
We are extremely excited to announce the new release of Bucket Explorer, supporting Amazon CloudFront dynamic content delivery.
Your job has become much simpler if you are looking to deliver dynamic content using Amazon CloudFront.
Now you can deliver dynamic and static content from different origin servers within or outside AWS locations, using CloudFront. You can manage your content on different origin servers without having to create multiple distributions or manage multiple domain names.
This new feature offers an easy and cost-effective process to increase the performance, reliability and availability of your dynamic websites. Now CloudFront works seamlessly with Amazon EC2 running dynamic applications.
As always, we strive to offer AWS upgrades to Bucket Explorer users as soon as possible after Amazon announces. Try Bucket Explorer for Amazon CloudFront’s dynamic content delivery today!
Added benefits of delivering dynamic content using CloudFront :
- You can deliver static and dynamic content using CloudFront.
- Now you can manage your content at different origin servers. You do not need to create separate distribution for each origin location.
- CloudFront supports Query String now, which helps you customize web pages for each viewer.
- Now you can control how you want Amazon CloudFront to cache different portions of your website.
Amazon S3 has introduced two new region endpoints. Bucket Explorer now supports S3 and SNS services for these two new region endpoints – South America (Sao Paulo) and US West (Oregon).
You can perform operations like create Bucket, list bucket, update ACL, update, download etc. for these two region end points similar to other region endpoints. In addition to these operations, you can also create CloudFront Distribution of the bucket reference to these region endpoints.
Bucket Explorer now also supports SNS service and Import Export service for these two region endpoints.
Bucket Explorer now supports following regions: US Standard , Europe (Ireland), US-West (Northern California) and AP-SouthEast-1 (Singapore), Asia-Pacific (Tokyo), South America (Sao Paulo) and US West (Oregon).
In this new version, Bucket Explorer has also released support for Multi-Object Delete Amazon API via Bucket Explorer’s Quick Delete feature.
For more details see release note page ver. 2011.12.02.02
Jan 8th 2011
Bucket Explorer team has announced a new version- 2010.12.03.01. This new version also launches Team Edition 2.0, which is integrated with AWS Identity Access Management for user and permissions management.
AWS IAM ( Identity and Access Management ) : AWS IAM is specially designed for you to control access to AWS services and resources for your users. It is secure, flexible, reliable and helpful for access control. It allows you to create and manage users in AWS as well as to grant access to AWS resources for the users managed outside of AWS.
Get started with AWS IAM here .
Price : AWS IAM is a feature of your AWS account and you do not have to pay any additional charge for this. AWS will charge you only for the other web services used by your users.
What operations can you perform?
- Create User: You can create user by giving controlled access for a given resource.
- Create Group: You can create group of users with a group name that you want.
- Add User To Group: Each user must be associated with a single or multiple groups.
- Remove User From Group: You can also remove an IAM user from the specific group.
- Put User Policy: You can add/edit/delete set of permissions in the form of policy for an IAM user.
- Put Group Policy: You can add/edit/delete set of permissions in the form of policy for the group.
- Create Access Key: You can create AWS Access Key ID and Secret Access Key for the created IAM User. This key is a unique key, which allows your user to access AWS services.
Bucket Explorer Team Edition and AWS IAM : Bucket Explorer’s Team Edition, which allows the users to work in teams by sharing same AWS Access Key and Secret Key, has not moved to AWS IAM in Team Edition 2.0. Now users and permissions management is done with the help of AWS IAM. Here are some key features mentioned below:
- Sharing buckets/objects within team members without sharing AWS access key and secret key.
- Manage Users, Groups and their access policy through Amazon IAM.
- Easy to configure and distribute among the team members.
- More secure with email and password. Users’ AWS credentials are encrypted in multiple forms.
- Team Edition UI refreshed after Every 15 Minutes (Synchronized with Amazon IAM)
- User detail in the metadata of S3 object.
- Activate/Deactivate users from team.
- Not required to remember access key and secret key for authentication in Team Edition 2.0. Team members are just required to use email and password, which was created by administrator at the time of registration. AWS credentials are served by team20.bucketexplorer.com using Amazon Identity and Access Management support.
Other highlights of this version
- Added Multipart Upload feature to upload big files in parts
- Non-S3 Origin support for CloudFront Distribution
- Upgraded to Java 6
Related Pages : -
For more details, see the Release Notes Page
We are pleased to announce a new release with support for Bucket Policies. Bucket Polices allow you to define access control on S3 buckets using Amazon’s “Access Policy Language”.
Latest version can be downloaded from our download page http://www.bucketexplorer.com/
Wednesday, June 30th2010
After multiple requests to provide “Drag and Drop” on Bucket Explorer interface, we are happy to introduce this feature in the current release. Now Bucket Explorer allows you to Drag and Drop files to upload, download and copy the S3 objects that makes your work fast and easy.
How it works ?
You can pick your native file(s), then drag and drop those files onto the object table of Bucket Explorer. The dropped file(s) will get uploaded to Amazon S3 in your selected bucket.
You can also upload file(s) from local file explorer situated over left side of Bucket Explorer main window, by simply dragging and dropping selected file(s) to the object table. You can also download S3 objects in similar fashion.
If you have two instances of Bucket Explorer open then you can copy your S3 objects by dragging selected S3 objects from source ( object table from one instance) and dropping onto the destination (object table from another instance).
Tuesday, June 29th 2010
Bucket Explorer now supports AWS Import/Export API, with the announcement of AWS Import/Export as a web service by AWS. Now you do not have to wait for your mail response sent by AWS Import Export while creating Import/Export Job.
It is very easy and fast to create Import/Export job using AWS Import Explorer web service.
Other Highlights of the version
- Support for Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS) : Helps reduce the storage cost by storing non-critical, reproducible data at lower levels of redundancy than the standard storage of Amazon S3. It is 33% cheaper than the more durable storage.
- Amazon CloudFront Streaming Distribution : Bucket Explorer supports both public as well as private CloudFront Streaming Distribution.
- Streaming Distribution Logging : Now you can create audit logs for the streaming distribution.
- Amazon CloudFront Distribution with HTTPS : Bucket Explorer supports web url for CloudFront Distribution with HTTP as well as HTTPS.
- Amazon S3 Versioning option : This feature helps you to recover your deleted data very easily. You can also use versioning for data archiving and retention. You can create number of version for a s3 objects
- MFA Delete : Multi-Factor-Authentication Delete has been provided by Amazon S3 to facilitate user to have additional security for preventing malicious access (unauthorized deletion of an S3 object) on objects. While deleting version(s) of S3 objects , if you have enabled Versioning with MFA Delete then Amazon S3 will ask for an authentication code. This is a valid six-digit code generated from authentication device.
- Drag and Drop : Bucket Explorer facilitates you to use Drag and Drop to upload, download and copy the S3 objects that makes your work fast and easy.
Related Topics :
Wednesday, May 19th 2010
Bucket Explorer’s latest version supports Reduced Redundancy Storage (RRS), which is the latest feature announced by Amazon S3.
Amazon S3 is known for its high durability, which means you do not need to worry about your backup, device failure, theft etc.
If your data is not very critical and is reproducible, you can lower your costs of storage by choosing Amazon S3 offered Reduced Redundancy Storage.
With Reduced Redundancy Storage, your data will be stored with lower levels of redundancy as compared to Amazon S3′s Standard storage class. It provides a cost-effective solution for distributing or sharing content that is durably stored elsewhere, or for storing thumbnails, or other processed data that can be easily reproduced.
RRS pricing starts at a base tier of $0.10 per Gigabyte per month, 33% cheaper than more durable storage.
Option from where you can update Storage Type
Bucket Explorer supports RRS for Amazon S3 objects. You can update storage type by “Upload as Reduced Redundancy Storage”, “Update Metadata”, “Bucket Default”, “Property” and “Bulk Update Metadata” options. RRS objects can be identified by brown color listings in version listing.
Other highlights of this version
Streaming Distribution Logging
Bucket Explorer also supports CloudFront logging for Streaming (public/private) Distribution. This is the process in which the operations performed on distributed content are logged by Amazon. The logs are saved in the distributed bucket on which you have set logging. It supports listing both types of distribution in “List Distribution” panel with streaming distribution marked as “STREAMING“
- How to Upload as Reduced Redundancy Storage?
- How to update user metadata or custom headers on Amazon S3 files?
Download the latest version and use RRS to lower storage cost for your reproducible, non- critical data on S3.
We are pleased to announce a new version of Bucket Explorer. Its basically a patch release, which fixes some minor issues from the last release (March 28th, 2010.04.00.00). This version also adds support for the new Singapore Region (Asia Pacific region), which was introduced a about an hour ago by Amazon.